Lyme Disease – Recovery Road Revisited

My brother Jim is a longtime runner and guest contributor. He is addressing a little written about topic – and a personal experience. We welcome your comments and contributions to this topic. His first post addressed his diagnosis and the first couple months of recovery. Here he picks up where he left off and updates us on the past six months. Jim has been very touched by all the emails and comment posts here regarding this disease. Treatment and recovery of Lyme disease is lacking when it comes to athletes. It is with this perspective he writes. To the rest of us – please read all the fine comments and stories following his last post – and be thankful for our health.

Well, it’s been 6 months since I finished my treatment for Lyme disease and was given the all clean signal. Yippee right? Well …maybe. As always, there is the good news and the bad news.

I have kept a daily log/diary ever since being Okayed by the doctors. I wanted to document exactly how I progressed, when and if I had setbacks, and maybe even see what caused the setbacks. I recommend this to everyone battling with Lyme. It’s therapeutic to write down what is happening to you, both mentally and physically, and it can be very instructive on what to do and not to do as you head forward. I wrote down what I did for exercise, how I felt, and any pains or aches that occurred in my log. Here is a good example from the first week I started exercising again.
“3 mile walk, felt tired, shoulders still ache.”
It was good for me to write down the workout but it was important to specify what problems I was still having as well.

[DMH – Note that it doesn’t have to be elaborate or take lots of time to do this. However, if you also wanted to journal about how you are doing otherwise – i.e. emotional and psychological manifestations; it can be very therapeutic to do so in the course of recovery.]

As I began my recuperation and regeneration phase two things I noted were continued breathing issues, but the aches in my shoulders were slowly easing. “Slowly” is the operative word here. If I didn’t have patience before I was certainly learning it now.

I was riding a spin cycle, walking, adding in some jogging. Everything seemed to be progressing slowly but steadily. My sleep patterns were back to normal and I was not taking any medication at all. Looking back at the log book, the progression was indeed slow and steady.

I then began seeing a personal trainer to regain the strength I had lost. My muscles were still very weak in my arms and shoulders, and I needed to rebuild them. I started out with twice a week for a few weeks and progressed to three times a week: Tues., Thurs., Sat. What I did notice was recovery from workouts took much more time than I was used to. My body ached from workout to workout. Thankfully, my trainers know about my history, and depending on how I am feeling that day, they tailor the workout to me. Days I feel good, we go for it. Days I am struggling, we back off. This has kept me going forward even when things weren’t going well. In the three months I have been going to training, I have become considerably stronger. The weights I have been lifting have increased, and muscle tone has come back in my arms and shoulders. I still have one arm weaker than the other, but that is slowly coming around also. This is all the positive news, and there is much to be happy about here.

Now, for the negative news; running for me as been off and on. I will go 2-3 weeks of easy running and then breakdown for no apparent reason. Sore knee, sore leg, etc. – it’s just one thing after the other. I have spent more down time than running time. I find I get hurt doing next to nothing. I tore my right quad merely kneeling down to pick something up. Snap…out another three weeks. Thankfully I could still do some lifting, and the trainers worked around my injury. Of course my breathing is still a problem.

[DMH – In his earlier post he chronicled the body parts most afflicted with the Lyme. His diaphragm was one specific muscle affected.]

So, with these recent setbacks, I decided to pay my doctor another visit. First thing I asked him about was Chronic Lyme Disease or Post Lyme Syndrome. He paused and thought about it for a moment. He said that in spite of major medical associations stating that no such thing exists; there appears to be mounting evidence that they do exist. In fact, some doctors who have gone against these associations and spoke out about Lyme have suffered for there outspoken behavior. It’s a crazy thing where any associations will not be open to look at the issues and in fact punish or sanction those people who do.

I reviewed some of the things that have been happening with me: continued body and joint aches (although minor compared to what I had before), getting injured easily, and persistent breathing problems.

He suggested medications, which I politely declined. He even suggested anti-depressants… Doc, I am sick, not depressed.

My doctor is pretty good, but from what I can tell, prescribing anti-depressants is common for people who have gone through Lyme. They think the symptoms are mental. Anyone who has had Lyme knows they aren’t in your head, it’s very physical, and very real. So, I nixed the anti-depressants.

[DMH – A common misconception about psychosomatic pain is that it is imaginary. It is not. The pain is quite real. However, the genesis of the pain is our heads.]

He then gave me a breathing test by blowing into a respiratory gauge. Back in my running days (which seem like forever ago) I would have blown the top off the thing. This time I registered a whopping 80%. He told me the low end of acceptable is 85%. Hmmmm…not too good. So I am off to see a pulmonary expert this week to learn more about my breathing problem. It could still be be my diaphragm but we don’t know. There will be more to follow as I find out what this new doctor has to say. For the record my doctor count is now at 13.

So, I continue working out with my trainers, and hopefully will be able to jog a little sometime this week. At a minimum maybe I’ll be able to ride my spin cycle. I have to admit the lack of aerobic activity is making me a little crazy. OK, maybe I do need those anti-depressants. Hope every else out there that reads this gains some solace in the fact you are not alone. And please, start writing down how you feel every day. Keep a diary, journal, log book or just note it on a big calendar. But do it. Finally, as hard as it may be every day work on being positive and take one more step forward. There will be stumbles along the way, and setbacks, but continue forward no matter what.


About Dean Hebert

I’m a mental game coach, author and speaker. I work with individual athletes, parents, coaches, and teams on sports performance enhancement. Beyond my academic post-graduate work in sports psychology - the psychology behind athlete performance – I am a certified Mental Games Coaching Professional (MGCP) and certified hypnotherapist. I’ve authored several books and hundreds of articles. “Coach, I didn’t run because…” (2008) is a seriously light-hearted look at making excuses not to workout and how to overcome them. “Focus for Fitness” (2009) and “Screw the Goals Give me the Donut” (2010) are two of my eBooks on mental game approaches for the everyday athlete. I wrote these because I believe that everyone can benefit from the powerful mental techniques that the world’s best athletes use. I have been cited in Runners World, Best Health magazine (CN), SWEAT Magazine, and the Washington Examiner amongst many other publications. I have been a featured mental games coach in Runner’s World and for the internationally acclaimed trail running resource - I also regularly appear on sports and fitness talk shows such as LTKFitness, Runnersroundtable and for more than three years I have co-hosted a weekly video series with Coach Joe English for I specialize in mental toughness training. My clients include tennis, synchronized swimming, golf, race-kart, soccer, motocross, volleyball, MMA, cycling (road, off-road, time-trialist), running, duathlon and triathlon, basketball, football and baseball athletes. I have coached world-class athletes and athletes internationally. I have a passion for working with youth athletes and helping them apply mental game skills and techniques to all areas of life. Most importantly, my aim is to have people enjoy sports and life to their fullest through peak performances.
This entry was posted in Illness and Running, Lyme Disease, Motivation, Running, Sports Psychology, Training Effectiveness and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

44 Responses to Lyme Disease – Recovery Road Revisited

  1. Justine says:

    Wow, what a long and slow progression you’ve had and yet you’ve stuck with it, something most people in your position wouldn’t do. Congratulations on not giving up! I think that would be the easiest thing to do and you’ve really stayed in the game. Pysically you’re having trouble, but mentally you’re strong and that makes all the difference.

  2. jim says:

    Justine, thank you for the kind words. They really mean alot. Believe me, I’m no hero, there are so many others battling the same thing or worse and putting up their own day to day fight. I have been contacted by quite a few people who have read my story, and my issues pale in comparison. They are the heros.

    • franann says:

      Keep up the good work.I also refused anti-depressants.I got bitten in the States in 1995 and returned home to Ireland after my holiday with this crazy illness.In 2003 I went to a L.L.M.D in Switzerland.I’m much better now ,but get a flair-up each Spring.I’m not a runner( I wish), but, I had run the Dublin mini-marathon for charity the year I got sick.
      My only wish is for people to be aware of this disease.
      the experts claim you can’t get it in Ireland…How wrong they are

  3. It really sucks, doesn’t it? I’ve been sick for about a year and a half — fighting Lyme for about a year. Check out my blog and let me know if you have any questions. I talk to a couple of other athletes with Lyme.


    • Inpainrunner says:

      I wanted to write you since your story resonated with me so much and I am really looking for hope. I have had lyme for going on 10 months now. 2 years ago I ran a marathon and I was ALWAYS a runner for the last 12 years or more. It was the thing that brought me pleasure. I now have chronic pain that started in my feet (a month before my wedding) and have migrated through my whole body.. hands.. elbows.. all joints muscles.. neck and back. It is so hard to get out of bed every day but I do it. I continue to look for success stories and hope. Thank you for being so positive!!

  4. Beth says:

    I wish you the best! I was just diagnosed with Lyme in February following my dream wedding! I was looking so forward to my triathlons this summer, but all training is put on hold. I want you to know that I was diagnosed with chronic lyme disease by a lyme doctor after only 7 months of having the illness. It doesn’t take long and it looks like a long road with the meds, but whatever it takes!! I am so glad that you wrote about your running, I felt like I was going crazy not being able to exercise. My MD also said that I should lay low for awhile until this is under control because of the wear and tear on the immune system. I don’t know if I can do anything else in the meantime….also, I went to my MD and a “infectious disease” MD who said it was my anxiety versus anything real and laughed at the possibility of lyme disease. I am glad that I followed my gut and went to a specialist to avoid the trap you went through! Best to you and thanks again for your story!

  5. Pingback: Lyme Disease & Running: A Prescription for Physical Activity « The Running World According to Dean

  6. Cathy says:

    Hi! I’ve seen your blog before and appreciated the discussion of exercise and recovering from Lyme. I was first treated 2 years ago and can hopefully say that I am making progress (although not back to 100%). Light exercise has definitely helped all along. Yoga has actually been the most helpful and really allows me to do a bit more weight training (we still have to vary it a bit when I am not feeling great. My trainer still checks in before we start about where my body is that day). It has also allowed me to run on and off which I hadn’t been able to do for many months which is great. I also started walking regularly which has been helpful as well if not as fun as running. I have found that I still have to really titrate it as I don’t have the stamina I used to and when I overdo it, I can be out for weeks. (I recently went on a 10 mile hike which wiped me out for several weeks). I have also really liked acupuncture for the aches and pains and it has also seemed to smooth out the ride. I haven’t done any IV antibiotics but a couple of rounds of oral doxycycline which I have responded to reasonalby well each time. Like you I have also had more inclination for injuries and pulled my calf muscle randomly when I was running before the hike. It healed well but was a bit of a surprise. Please keep us updated as I appreciate and identify with your struggles to return to running.

  7. Dean Hebert says:

    Thanks for dropping in Cathy. You’re not alone as you can see. And thank you so much for your comments and contributing to all this. As you have also read… there is just a chasm that exists on how to treat Lyme and its associated diseases as well as get someone back to health.

    I’ve forwarded your note to my brother also.


  8. mo watson says:

    Thanks Dean. I was diagnosed about a month ago, and am trying to come back. It was the fatigue that sent me to the doctor…imagine, I was having trouble getting up for my 5:30 am workout! The pain and headaches never would have gotten me to go in, but I was going crazy because I was having trouble keeping my pace up. So now after a month of antibiotics, I’m fearful that my doctor will take my little blue pills away. I was doing great for a few days, even though I was having weird burning sensations in my hands and arms, running a few miles and also walking a few hours a day. I start back to martial arts tomorrow and “boot camp” in the morning (an intense morning workout with trainers at the Y). However, today, I am having shooting pains down one leg, and pain and numbness in my hands. I think as a long time athlete, I was lucky because my legs seem to have good memory, and I can just set myself on “auto pilot” and go, even though I feel fairly drunk (I don’t take any pain meds, even over the counter…the drunk is just a fun lyme benefit…not…). I’m hoping with another month of ab, this will all go away. I keep telling myself that this will all help build my empathy for others….for now I’m hunkering down and just fighting off the crazies. Hope you’re doing well. I will be following your page and your fight.

  9. Dean Hebert says:

    I’ve forwarded your message to my brother (he’s the one with the Lyme) and is following all the posts. It’s been a year and he’s maybe 98% back.

    • Inpainrunner says:

      I also would love to know how he got better.. I was on 5 months of abx and discontinued now looking for an alternative treatment.. I would love to know what helped your brother!!!

  10. Leanne Upchurch says:

    Hi, your story was interesting to read. I’ve just recently been diagnosed with Lyme disease. The rash and headache’s have now gone, but I’ve been left with half facial paralysis and extreme tiredness. I am a self employed fitness instructor so have had no choice but to get back to work, although I’m finding it really takes it out of me, and I have to get a nap in beforehand! I haven’t attempted running again yet as I’ve been saving energy for work. I’m still on anti-biotics and steroids. I thought this would all be over soon, but going by your experience I think I was being a bit over-ambitious! My life is fitness and training, and I need to get back to it soon!!!

  11. Dean Hebert says:

    As you can see patience, persistence and then more patience is required in getting back. I’ve forwarded your comment to my brother. He tries to stay in touch with people.
    Try these links for more support and information:

    You are not alone. Keep fighting and stay tough!

  12. Pingback: More Lyme Follow-Up « The Running World According to Dean

  13. Julia says:

    I’m nervous.. I just found out I have had lymes for almost 2.5 months. I was in the best shape of my life ready to run 2:40-45 in the marathon; although I never got a rash or saw a tick, I can go back and know I got it sept 1st which was on one of my last long runs before the marathon in the woods. Since then I have blamed many other problems.. thinking i was feeling terrible/weak/dizzy/shaky from either reoccuring mono from college coming back (4 years ago), sinus infections, maybe low iron or vitamin d, and just not taking the time out of my busy work schedule to actually go to more than one dr appointment.
    I managed to work 40-60 hours a week, traveling 4 times across the country and back, standing all day at expos, all while continuing to run (and lift) – never giving in 45-65 miles per week… and sometimes hard. i even attempted a half marathon the first week – feeling terrible running 1:23 which was 4 min slower than my pr. so now what? I am continuing to run. I only notice extreme fatigue, lack of concentration/memory, ear aches and swollen feet (they grew over a 1/2 size the last few months).. . . With my meds, I’m on day 5 of antibiotics. wish me luck!!!!!

  14. jenny odea says:

    Good luck Jim with your training – it must be very hard – Lyme sure does knock you down! Have you tried a CD57 test? It may be able to confirm ‘chronic Lyme’. Chronic Lyme really pushes down your immune system and more treatment may be needed. A link to it is :

    I wish you well. Lyme disease really sucks!

  15. JB says:


    It sounds like you are going thru what I went through back in 1995. I thought I was nearly experiencing a full recovery and stopped the antibiotics with the blessings of my doc.

    Big mistake! The disease came back like I never experienced before. I went into atrial fibrillation and from then on it only got worse… Went back on meds got out of atrial fibrilllation but had long recovery nd never got back to where I was.

    If you don’t like taking antibiotics consider pulsing.. that is take high doses of antibiotics just a few days a week…. the proof that you still have it will be that you will experience a major herxheimer reaction..

    That is the best way to prove you still have lyme which I’m pretty certain you do.

    joshb – I’m not a doctor but I would be willing to play one on TV.

  16. jim says:

    As more and more athletes leave comments, I am inspired and awestruck at the resilience and fortitude
    that these people have exhibited in the face of nebulous treatment, questionable diagnosis, and chronic impairment. I look back at what I went through, and it pales in comparison to what so many others have gone through, or are going through. I have been in constant contact with quite a few of the people who have commented here, and literally have felt every up and down they have gone through. You guys are brave and heroic and utterly inspiring. For myself, I feel I am 100% back to where I was pre lyme. I am running well, feeling good, and feeling healthy. But, I will never forget how I did feel, and I will never forget what it was like to go through the uncertainty. That is one of the reasons I keep in contact. If anyone who has commented would like to email me directly, please feel free to do so. and keep fighting the good fight.

  17. Catherine says:


    I just got diagnosed with lyme just recently but have been in pain for the last 6 months…just happened to find a doctor that would listen…women don’t always get taken seriously when they go to the doctor for pain…Athletes tend to have a good pain threshold from doing sports but nothing compares to the pain experienced with lyme. I am herxing right now and I have to keep telling myself this herxing is a good thing even don<t it feels like its getting worse.

  18. Tim Martinez says:

    Fuck Lyme Disease…

    I have the shit now and refused antibiotics for the 1st week after being bit by a tick, but then felt nauseous and had breathing and heart problems, so i’m now on antibiotics.

    I practice macrobiotics and am a runner, and have been feeling much better after like 4 days on antibiotics. I highly recommend avoiding all sugar and overly acidic foods that create an environment in which the Lyme assholes thrive. Look into the macrobiotic perspective of lyme disease and eat a more balanced diet based on whole grains, vegetables and beans for a strong immune system and for creating strong alkalinized blood which will help you regain strength and recover.
    The mild heart pain I felt freaked me out, though the rash is going away and I’m feeling much stronger. Keep positive, eat grains and vegetables, especially miso soup w/ sea vegetables, and you will feel much more relief and hopefully your body will overcome those little lyme fucker bacterias and achieve a natural harmony once more.

  19. Olivia says:

    Great article! I got diagnosed with lyme disease a month and a half ago and I’m almost finished taking my antibiotics. I am a D1 Collegiate athlete and as my season starts, I have never been as frustrated with my body as I am now. Hopefully I will start to recover when my antibiotics run out so I can start training. I didn’t think this recovery would be so hard. After swimming for 1 hour today, I was the most tired i have been after 12 years of swimming. Can only go up from here! (hopefully….)

  20. Tom says:

    Well, I suppose this helps set realistic expectations.

    I’ve run several marathons, but nearly two years ago I finished a typical twelve mile training run feeling like I hadn’t run strong. I went to about seven different doctors before I was diagnosed with three chronic fatigue viruses, but the Lyme question has been sitting out there for about six months. Assyra tests (controversial in the US) suggest I’ve been exposed and am combatting three different Lyme bacteria. I’m doing the Igenix tests next week.

    Recently, additional research led me to switch medical groups. I’ve been curious about a particular protocol for the three CFS viruses I’m battling. Apparently this can be a good approach as long as you aren’t also fighting Lyme. My new doc felt I’d feel much improved in six months. Wanting to assess the strength of her optimism, I asked, “Can I put any races on the calendar eight months from now?” She replied, “No. I want to see if I can get you feeling better and get you to stay there.”

    For the past several months, I’ve had weekly IV therapy consisting of Meyers Cocktails and varying chelation agents. During this time, I’ve had the opportunity to chat with similarly IV tethered patients. It’s like there is this underground subculture of people struggling with Lyme, many of whom are young and otherwise healthy looking. Such is the price of being adventuresome outdoors.

    Nonetheless, I continue to be optimistic that I’ll someday be able to run again, hopefully antivirals and antibiotics will do their magic. Thanks for sharing your journey.

  21. Hi. Wow reading all this is both helpful and overwhelming. Everyone’s comments, I really hear them so much. I have been ground to a halt by Lyme and several coinfections. For a long time people assumed I had parasites (I worked in the Amazon) and or that I was crazy. To prove to doctors I wasn’t just depressed and/or crazy, I have actually tried at their request several anti-depressants (they may be slightly helpful in the not becoming clinically depressed by your life changing so much factor).While I have and still do have parasites, this summer after maybe fifteen years (i.e. since I was 21), I got a positive diagnosis of Lyme disease. I have been a runner, ran marathons (apparently after getting Lyme), coached, etc. I knew things were really bad when a few years ago, I couldn’t go for a slow/easy day run with my middle schoolers. Three days later I would still be recovering. One of the hardest things for me has been realizing, I simply can’t push myself to run. I am only just now starting the full onslaught of treatment. I taught all fall, and reacted so badly to the meds, that we had to wait until the end of the semester. Not being able to run, or be very physically active has been so hard. Last night I had a dream I was running, and it was amazing. It is the first time I have had a dream in years where I could run. I have had all these other dreams where I would try to run a race and my legs wouldn’t work, or I would fall down.
    Thank you for the hope, and I would love more ideas on how to incorporate running and working out into a healthy recovery.Thank you for your blog.

  22. John Feld says:

    I find it ironic that I have come across this site. In December 2011 I was convinced by a physician that I in fact do have LD. In hindsight, I have had the disease for at least 6 years. I was attributing my lack of energy, my disdain for long distance running (which until then was a passion), having difficulty sleeping to life stressors and chronic joint and muscle pain due to contact sports which I played until my mid twenties.

    Since December I have been on a regime of anti-biotics and other meds. I was ill enough by the time I walked into a LD friendly medical center, to take the meds prescribed without question. The reason for posting here today is the frustration I feel as some days I am unable to function well enough for work, diminished patience with my four children and daily chronic fatigue.

    I was hoping to read some hopeful stories about the recovery process and am looking for sites to read through moving forward. My goal is to regain my motivation for fitness and participate fully in life again. Currently, I am afraid to exercise as I don’t want ‘burn out’ the energy I am managing with daily.

    I am going to follow the suggestion I read here to document daily how I am feeling. I think this will be helpful to me.

    • Dean Hebert says:

      There are success stories. I’ll forward your post to my brother. He has been staying in contact with many of those who’ve posted here.

    • stillmoving says:

      Hang in there. It’s been about three years for me now, slowly regaining my energy and joy. I completely understand the fear of exercise, almost a fear of trying because to not want to continue would be a sign of relapse. I now catch myself spontaneously breaking into a run while walking the dog at night, and feeling the happiness at the rhythm of the jog. My patience with my children is also something that took time to come back, although I regret every lapse of patience while I was my sickest. Things get better. Patience is the hardest task of all.

  23. Laurie says:

    It is hard reading blogs….I find that the some of the darkest blogs come out of frustration, but look in hope to find success. I was a Div 1 Track and Field athlete and now Mom and marathoner. Exercise has been my life, it is my bond between friends. Lyme or whatever I had struck me like a bolt of lightning on July 7, 2011. No exercise ever since…..qualified for the Boston Marathon and have watched my friends train this winter as I wave them off in a few weeks…only to have me at home lucky to walk 2-3 miles. I have taken doxy, rocephin (3months), azithromycin, bactrim…..when do you stop?? I stopped all sugar, yeast, dairy and alcohol and am taking more supplements than I know what to do with. Just like Jim, I start to stretch and my muscles cramp or pull. I do 2 pound bicep curls and it feels like I have done 50 reps with 20 pounds. I keep seaching the engines with lyme and athlete……thank goodness I am not alone, but thank every single day this is happening to me and not my child. Tough stuff……thanks Jim….I need to hear the success. It will keep me going…..more Advil, but another 3 mile walk tomorrow. I will run again…

  24. Michele says:

    Hi. I was just diagnosed a few days ago. I had gone to the dr for a referral to PT for hip pain, thought I strained the tensor facia latae in early June. The spot I initially felt the pain was where the rash was but i never saw the rash until July 3. During that time I had some bad headaches which I thought were sinus, although they did not feel like the normal sinus headache. had a slight fever and chills/night sweats. Had an antibiotic for sinuses plus Sudafed and Mucinex which did nothing. About 3 weeks before this started, I became vegetarian so I thought there was something missing in my diet that made my running pace go down, in addition to the NH heat & humidity. When I went to the dr on July 6th to show her the rash, I was having some bad headaches, neck stiffness and upper back pain. She thought it was all tension and gave me muscle relaxants. I wasn’t feeling that bad but it got much worse over the course of a couple days. by July 9th my knees were in excrutiating pain but not when I ran, and my back was so bad I could not sleep. I still ran my regular schedule, getting up at 5am. on the 10th my test came back positive and I started the antibiotics. Had a really bad day the next day but 2 days later I’m feeling better and my pace was better yesterday. Although I definitely don’t want this disease, I’m relieved my test came back positive otherwise my dr would have done nothing and I was getting really scared waiting for the results.

  25. Steve Cabana says:


    I’m a 56 year old man, who ran track in high school and college, and did triathlons into my mid-30’s. Until September of 2009, I ran 4 miles four times a week, did yoga 2X week, practiced kung fu 20 minutes daily, and had a private instructor, as well as going to the gym to lift weight 2- 3 times a week. I own a house on Marthas Vineyard, and got bit by deer tick in June 09. Diagnosed in September after knee and hip pain developed. Eight months antibiotics. Felt normal for seven back to all activities. It came back hard with searing pain in right shoulder. Went to nutritionist put on gluten free, sugar free diet, ate alkaline foods for one month then, She worked with lyme literate physician…. one month 3 days zithromax, two day flagyl, along with elaborate nutritional program. Four months feeling better, but not as good as during seven symptom free months. Then found Dr. Zhang at Sino medical:

    Breathing problems turned out to be Babesia which he cured with his artemesia formula. AFTER the third month of his largely herbal treatment I had a dramatic improvement in my energy, mental focus, and feeling of well being. Now on fourth month, using a different herb for possible co-infection of Bartonella. Also found Perry Fields, read her book and added some of her approaches. Perry was a world class athlete in 2008 felled by Lyme, now fully recovered and competing to the best of her ability:

    I am doing pretty well now. Not fully recovered but about 85%. I have written 3 manuals for the libraries on Marthas Vineyard to help people find their way back to wellness in terms of appropriate resources. Jim I hope you are doing better now, but if you are not check out some of these other resources I have mentioned. I have checked the notify me of follow up comments if you want to send me contact info.


    Steve C.

    • Dean Hebert says:

      Thanks for contributing. I forwarded your post to my brother.

    • Tom says:

      Steve, thanks so much for sharing your encouraging story. In 2009, I remember completing a twelve mile run, and feeling like I hadn’t finished it strong. Know what I mean? This began a two and a half year decline seeing numerous doctors. Two months ago, I was diagnosed with Lyme (“neuro-Lyme”, “Lyme-complex) and added Borrellia, and Babesia to my list of invaders. I’ve been on antibiotics for two months. Recently, I’ve been shocked at how bad this phase is. I’ve been told this round would be four to six months, but it seems as though the treatment strategy is longer if it has had more time to really establish itself.

    • jeannie says:

      Hi Steve – I have read about your progress with Lyme on other pages. I am very happy that you were able to get well. I am down in NY, but my LLMD is in CT. I will be making a visit next month, and would like to be able to also drive up to MV so as to make copies of your notebooks at the libraries. Do the libraries at MV still make your material available to the public? Or do you have links that you could provide me with for the material you wrote, so as to save a trip up to MA? Thank so much for all of your help, and I hope you are experiencing continued health. Jeannie

  26. Steve, what is your email address?

  27. John says:

    How are faring a few years removed from this writing.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s